Saturday, January 1, 2011

My Christmas Experience in Bethlehem

It was indeed an awesome experience to worship with fellow Christians on Christmas Eve in Bethlehem.  I could hardly believe that I was actually in the very place I had heard about all my life.  But the words from the hymn that I have sung since a child, “Oh little town of Bethlehem, how still we see thee lie” is certainly not true today.  


Outside of the sanctuary of Christmas Lutheran Church, as we walked around the town, I can only describe it as a noisy, crowded, run-down city of nearly 27,000 people. Most of their lives have been radically altered by the rapid construction of the “Separation Barrier” in 2004.  A woman told us that almost overnight she was cut off from family on the other side of the “fence”, a concrete wall of nearly 30 feet. 

A View From My Room in the Bethlehem Inn
 This concrete barrier surrounds the town on three sides. 


The Israeli government controls access into and out of Bethlehem.  And what was once a thriving Christian and Muslim community is rapidly becoming a ghetto.  I met a Christian man in Tulkarm who said he would love to visit Bethlehem, but he has only been there once—years ago.  As a Palestinian Christian he no longer has access to one of his faith’s holiest places. 
Bethlehem is especially busy at Christmas, of course.  My husband, Obed , recently shared with me  about an  Associated Press article in the Sioux Falls Argus Leader  that indicated that the increased tourism had made for a very merry Christmas in Bethlehem.  But please click on the following article to get a different perspective of Christmas 2010 in Bethlehem.  
Since the construction of the barrier, businesses have been forced to close because of the decrease in tourist traffic.  Oh there are plenty of tourists.  Busload after busload of tourists come to Bethlehem, but they are shuttled in and out of the Church of the Nativity or Rachel’s Well and get on their buses to spend most of their  money in Israel.  People who live in Bethlehem have lost jobs and had their access to education curtailed. 
The number of Palestinian Christians has decreased since 1948 and migration to other areas has rapidly increased since the barrier has been constructed.   Christians find themselves in the middle of the conflict between the fundamentalist factions on both sides of the present conflict.   If you would like to read a more comprehensive article on the reasons behind the decline in the number of Palestinian Christians living here, you might consider reading this article:

I am going to show you a number of pictures that I have taken in my brief sojourn here which show you how Palestinians feel about the “Separation Barrier.” 


Note the Christmas Tree
Note the Olive Trees Cut Down
Art on Barrier North of Tulkarm
I hope that you have a very nice celebration of New Years Day.  I went to bed early last evening and although New Years is not a holiday here, we did hear indications of some celebrating going on at midnight.  I must get to bed early tonight because we have early morning watch.  Ann, an EA from the village of Yanoun who is from Coventry, England, is with us for a break and will accompany Esther and me for our early morning trek.

Best Wishes From Tulkarm,

Susanne

1 comment: