Sunday, January 23, 2011

Bethlehem Again

There is a very structured approach to the EAPPI program in order to adequately provide service in 6 very different locations throughout the West Bank of Palestine.  Included in this careful plan are opportunities for the EA’s to see and experience many places in the area.  We are encouraged to go on 2 placement visits and take the equivalent of 12 days off our time as an accompanier. 
Esther and I decided to return to Bethlehem for a couple days before we have a week of mid-term orientation in Jerusalem.  We rose early to make the most of our days off.  I realized I’d be away from Tulkarm for 9 days this time.  I have a small backpack which when full is basically the weight I can lug around.  Since I was also taking my computer this time what I basically took was the computer, all the electrical attachments and adaptors, my camera, rain suit and one change of clothes. (I forgot my camera charger!!)  We also have to have two mobile phones, our passports at all times, money for transportation in our pockets, water and whatever else the EAPPI vest will hold.  The rest I was wearing as it is still pretty cold in Palestine.  However, I can’t complain about the weather compared to what I hear people are going through back home.  Each day warms up to at least 50 degrees.
When I arrived here I wondered if I would be able to negotiate all the different modes of transportation.  As it turns out, everyone is very helpful and so I eventually got on the right bus, Service or Taxi heading the right direction.  Service (pronounced Serveece) vehicles hold seven passengers plus the driver. 
Sign in the Service Van
They are comfortable, very well constructed and able to be driven in all sorts of circumstances.  The drivers all are excellent drivers with pleasant dispositions.   It’s really hilly throughout Palestine which requires good driving abilities. 
Bethlehem Street--Lots of Steps!!
They maneuver through the most impossible of situations to get where they need to go.  Even though my Arabic is very basic…….a few words and phrases…..I am always able to manage to figure out what it costs with the rest of the passengers helping me and pass my shekels up to the driver.  He makes change while he is driving which really calls for good multi-tasking abilities.  The buses hold many people and stop whenever a passenger wants to get on or off.
As we approached Bethlehem I thought of a beautiful anthem our choir at Peace Lutheran Church has sung.  How Far Is it to Bethlehem?
                How far is it to Bethlehem?
                Not very far.
                Do you see the little light
                Led by a star?
                Do you see the Christ Child?
                Is he asleep?
                Here in his manger bed
                Sleep baby sleep.
It’s inspiring to be in Bethlehem and walk along the old streets that have been so meaningful to people of faith throughout history.  There are many Palestinian Christians who would like to come here to see firsthand the birthplace of Christ.  Many have applied for permission to do so and have been denied.   In Occupied Palestine, there is no freedom of movement for Palestinians and access to Holy places is most often denied.
At sundown we joined a group of people who regularly pray at the Bethlehem wall.  We walked along the huge imposing structure in silence or to the words of “Hail Mary Full of Grace” and the Lord’s Prayer.
At the end we sang a short plainsong melody and closed with a word of prayer.  May the people of this land find love in their hearts and peace for their souls.
Tomorrow Esther and I will worship at Christmas Lutheran Church.
Susanne


No comments:

Post a Comment