Friday, March 4, 2011

Saying Goodbye to the People of Tulkarm

February 27
Today I said my final good-byes in Tulkarm and boarded a bus for the trip to Bethlehem to attend the Sabeel Conference.  Riding through the city of Tulkarm I looked out the window at the familiar places.  It was a sad moment to actually leave the area.  I thought about the many experiences packed into a short amount of time.  And along with the experiences I thought about the special people I have met in Tulkarm and the surrounding area.  We have shared joys and sorrows.  We have laughed together and cried together.  All of the wonderful people of Palestine will be forever in my heart and on my mind.  I admire their resilience, sincerity, love for their land, and love for their families.  I marveled at their patience in the face of daily sufferings experienced due to the Occupation. 

I never felt like a stranger in their land.  Each of them welcomed me into their lives knowing full well that I would be leaving after only a short time.  I felt totally safe in Tulkarm and never once even received a look of anger or disdain directed at me.  Yesterday it was a great honor to place the blue prayer shawl, given to me by the women of Peace Lutheran to accompany me on my journey, around the shoulders of Mouna's aging mother.  She said she would treasure it as I did.  The people of Tulkarm will forever be in my heart and prayers. 
I will blog more from Bethlehem and Jerusalem.
Susanne

No comments:

Post a Comment