Friday, December 17, 2010

Why Palestine & What Will You Do?


I  first learned about the EAPPI program last Spring while reading a newsletter from the Texas Synod of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America.  At that time I had very little knowledge of what is called the Israeli-Palestinian conflict.  But there was something about this challenge that seemed right for me to undertake.   These two questions have been asked of me by many of my friends.  So here is an initial answer.
Most of my professional life has involved working with people who have been suffering.  My work with the mentally ill, those homebound with illness, and those who have been disadvantaged made me open to considering this challenge of being “accompanier” in Palestine.  After applying to EAPPI, I began to study in earnest the background of this “conflict.”  And the more I read the more I realized that the peaceful resolution of this conflict is one of the most important global issues of our time.  This conflict has become a cancer that has worldwide consequences. 
So with my children grown and my career in a “semi-retirement” status my response to the invitation to become an accompanier was, “Why not?”  Of course it meant trusting that God would provide what I needed to fulfill my responsibilities, including safety and health.
What will I do here?  There are four major responsibilities that all of us have accepted as members of this program:
1.        By our presence and observations, we aim to provide protection to people at risk and facilitate freedom of movement and action.
2.       We monitor and report violations of human rights to the proper authorities.
3.       We show solidarity with the civilian populations, the churches and those who engage in non-violent efforts to end the occupation.
4.       By using media and communication tools, we enhance awareness and encourage creative action to peacefully resolve the conflict.
This is our team which will be in Tulkarm:  Susanne (me), Vidar (Norway), Esther (Switzerland), and Johana (Sweden)
We have learned a lot during our first week of training which has involved lectures, guided observations and hand-on activities.  For instance, on Thursday we attended the one year anniversary of the Palestine Kairos document in Bethlehem.  (street scene below)



The document was published one year ago by a group of Palestinian Christians which spells out the historical and theological rationale for the peaceful settlement of the Israeli-Palestinian conflict.   I encourage you to read it.
Yesterday we toured Jerusalem and saw areas never seen by tourists. I am standing next to The Separation Barrier in Jerusalem, a thirty-five foot concrete structure erected by the Israelis for security purposes which divides the city. 



On Sunday we journey back to Tulkarm to begin our work.  I am very impressed with the quality and commitment of my fellow twenty-three accompaniers. 
I appreciate very much your support and your prayers.  As we near Christmas, may Peace on Earth become more and more a reality for all of us.
Susanne

1 comment:

  1. Susanne,

    WOW! I applaud you for putting your life where your values are and I look forward to following your blog.
    You are in our prayers!

    al

    ReplyDelete